In this last progress blog post of the year, I’m here to tell you that v6 is being delayed a little bit.
Internal testing revealed some issues that require some extra time to fix and properly test, I felt like we shouldn’t release this just yet. It’s frustrating because we’re SO close, but we need a few more fixes and some more testing before we’re happy to show you this work.
Who releases something on the Friday between Christmas and newyears anyway? ;-)
If you really can’t wait, there is always the nightlies for you to check out. As of build 92, we switched a lot of the backoffice calls to use the new API and while most things are working, there is still some friction there.
We know of a few bugs that you might run into, like some datatypes producing a nasty error that can’t be fixed easily and a few packages not working yet.
Package developers who are bored of spending time with their families should also check if their packages are still working.
I tested the top 30 packages and have worked with some of their developers already to work out some bugs, but some of them are still failing, we’re looking into that but it would be a great help if you could tell us why things aren’t working, after all you know your code way more intimately than we do.
Things you can expect to break are:
- The upgrade to MVC4 and therefore Razor 2.0 leads to stricter checking of misplaced @ signs. For details, issue 1143.
- If your code does queries to the cmsTab table of the tabId column in cmsPropertyType, you will get errors because they have been renamed, details in issue 1353.
- Enthusiastic developers who have already implemented the IPublishedContent interface introduced in 4.11 will notice a slight change to support the Url property, see issue 1065.
- If you do direct queries to the umbracoApp and umbracoAppTree tables, you will notice they are now removed (they have been empty since 4.10), more info in issue 682.
We’re looking forward to see any other issues you may find so we can make this release better!
One other thing I’m really proud of is that, not only are we delivering a great CMS for you, we also sometimes feel that we need to fix third party tools that we like using. As you may now, in v6 we’ll be using PetaPoco to do all of our data access, but there was one problem: it didn’t fully support medium trust.
Morten and Shannon have worked together to make sure we can still support medium trust by fixing PetaPoco and Shannon made a pull request for his fix. I love open source!
By the way, we’re still doing nightly builds of 4.11.2 as well and I’m holding of the release of that version a little longer until we can put in a fix for the NiceUrl issues some people are experiencing. However, I can recommend everybody using 4.11.1 to upgrade (just overwrite the bin folder, that’s all) to get all of these lovely fixes.
Finally, on a personal note let me just say that I’m so happy that in the past few months we’ve made huge progress on improving Umbraco’s core, introducing MVC into Umbraco, an overall focus on higher quality releases and getting a LOT of community help through pull requests, patches, etc.
Thank you all, I am super excited to continue this work in 2013!
Wishing you a very Umbraco new year!