Well, well, well, what have we got here? Is that a shiny final release of Umbraco 6 - The future of Umbraco? Why yes, yes it is!
After nearly a 1000 testers on the beta and release candidate, v6 is now ready for prime time!
In the past 10 days, we've fixed bugs we found internally after doing dozens of clean installs and upgrades. We also fixed a few dozen bugs that YOU, the community have found and we can't thank you enough for all the bug reports, they have helped us a lot in making this a high quality release.
We've also had a lot of feedback on the upgrade process, especially the database step that was scary because it was using the wording of when you install Umbraco from scratch. So now we properly indicate that we are upgrading, doing some extra tests to determine which database upgrades are necessary and will show you errors that are easy to digest if something does go wrong.
As a reminder of what's so great about v6:
- A brand new API for Content and Media - Read Niels' blog post about the ContentService
- Upgrade from MVC 3 to MVC 4 and support for Partial View Macros
- You can now use PetaPoco and the database migrations framework that we added onto it
- Support for nested media types in the backoffice
- Ability to restrict the document types that you can create under the Content root node
- 99% backwards compatible with Umbraco 4
For all the details, check out the download page and then get with the future and start installing!