What is Code Review?
The Code Review (CR) feature is the process of reviewing existing code provided by you as a client. Code reviews are usually requested when you are experiencing issues with a specific part of their code or have concerns about something either performance, stability or security-wise.
The code review service does not cover getting a review on an entire codebase and does not mean that we will take your code and fix it. Code review means you get an Umbraco HQ senior developer to look through the specific parts where you have concerns. It also has certain requirements as to what you as the client has to provide Umbraco HQ with in order to get the most out of the review.
The result of this review will be given in comments and in a report that will state what we believe is breaking your functions or is causing possible disruptions.
We will help you with:
- Reviewing a specific piece (or specific pieces) of code based on an issue you are experiencing.
- We provide feedback on our findings in the code (and possibly in related code) that we conclude has a direct relation to the issue.
- We may provide suggested solutions to the findings if we find that there are some obvious solutions that can be easily explained/implemented. This highly depends on the findings and complexity of the codebase and we do not guarantee this to be part of the service provided.
- Reviewing a specific piece (or specific pieces) of code based on some concerns you have.
- We provide feedback on our findings in the code (and possibly in related code) that we agree or disagree could be the reason for concerns.
- We may provide feedback on other findings in the code that we see during the review. This highly depends on the complexity of the codebase and the complexity of the concern we’re evaluating.
Code Review does not include:
- Review of an entire implementation (website).
- Debugging of specific problems in an implementation, such as:
- Performance bottlenecks/issues.
- Optimization of existing code.
- Bug fixing of a problem a client is experiencing.
- Reviews related to third party packages not owned by Umbraco HQ.
- Guidance or review on non-Umbraco related subjects and best practices for code
- Questions about best practices in coding.
- Questions about design patterns for coding.
- Questions/reviews on integration with other software/systems where the focus is more about the other piece of software and not Umbraco itself.
- Questions about other software/systems that are not owned by Umbraco HQ
- Guidance or review on hosting that is not directly Umbraco related
- Setup/configuration of Azure/AWS resources not directly related to Umbraco configuration.
- Configuration of 3rd party plugins/extensions not owned by Umbraco HQ.
- DNS and domain configuration in external services and/or best practices about this.
Does your plan include Code Review?
If you’re an Umbraco Gold Partner or have an Umbraco Enterprise plan, then yes. If not, then have a look at the plan here and imagine the time and worry you’ll save by having senior developers from Umbraco HQ look and advise you on your Umbraco code.
How to get Code Review?
To schedule Code Review you will need to reach out to the SWAT team who will kick off the process from there. Once the request is approved it can take up to 20 business days as we need to ensure that we get you in touch with the right expert for the specific topic. We will set up a meeting or provide a detailed report with our feedback and recommendations.
Do you want to know more about how you can take advantage of Code Review or maybe set up a session? Send us a message and we'll gladly get in contact with you to explain further.
Maybe it’s Architectural Advising you’re looking for?
Architectural Advising is guidance and recommendations for a client or an agency that plans on doing a new development project in Umbraco. It can also be an existing website which needs to undergo major changes in functionality where you would like our opinion on the architecture before you apply it.