My new job at Umbraco HQ
Hi, I am Martin and I am the new OCD in Umbraco. OCD, or Online Communications Dragoon, is a very suitable title for someone like me, as I have been working with online communications most of my career. I enjoy analysing things and putting them into sensible structure and order. It puts a smile on my face :). And I once went horseback riding for about 20 minutes, so that is where the “Dragoon” part comes in.
What am I hired to do at Umbraco HQ? My first big task is the new umbraco.com site. We want our visitors to have a better experience when visiting our site. That’s why we want to focus a lot more on the site’s general structure, content and design. For our new site, we also want to use this great new hosting service we’ve heard tons of good things about, you know, Umbraco Cloud (or Umbraco as a Service) ;). I can’t wait to get started!
Let me tell you about myself...
I tend to end up writing a lot once I get started, so instead of describing my life story, here is a list of things I have done that I am proud of:
- Dismantling and building electronic devices since before I was 10, and getting a ton of low voltage shocks in the process
- Building websites in Notepad since I was 16
- Flew a small airplane above Switzerland
- Drove a large tractor in Jutland
- Kissed a girl and I liked it
- Studied psychology and business studies
- Building a ton of email templates before Litmus and mobile was really a thing
- Sent very successful email campaigns to more than 300,000 recipients
- Lead a team of content creators from 7 different countries
- Trained a ton of people in various systems, software and methods
- Masterminded some huge communications projects in a major Danish SaaS company
- Cut trees down with an axe
- Cut trees down with a chainsaw
- Got my first Umbraco certificate - I'm now an Umbraco Certified Professional !
- Went Bridge Walking with my new co-workers at Umbraco HQ (see picture below)
- Met a lot of awesome people and made some fantastic friends along the way
I am passionate about making teams work well together, because one of the things I enjoy the most in life is, to solve difficult problems alongside competent and enthusiastic people.
Other than that I love outdoor activities, especially hiking, canoeing and kayaking and fire pit cooking. I am a food and wine lover and Italy is where most of my favorite food and wine is produced. I live on the Manhattan of Copenhagen, Amager though. With a bit of imagination it does actually resemble Italy a little. A colder, darker and less colorful Italy, but it is OK.
I am looking forward to being part of the Umbraco team and community and to hopefully contribute to an already amazing product and company.